Friday, May 30, 2008

Rebecca Stott - Ghostwalk

A Cambridge historian, Elizabeth Vogelsang, is found drowned, clutching a glass prism in her hand.
The book she was writing about Isaac Newton's involvement with alchemy - the culmination of her lifelong obsession with the seventeenth century - remains unfinished.

When her son, Cameron, asks his former lover, Lydia Brooke, to ghostwrite the missing final chapters of his mother's book, Lydia agrees and moves into Eliszabeth's house - a studio in an orchard where the light moves restlessly across the walls.
Soon Lydia discovers that the shadow of violence that has fallen across present-day Cambridge, which escalates to a series of murders, may have it's origins in the troubling evidence Elizabeth's research has unearthed. As Lydia becomes ensnared in a dangerous conspiracy that reawakens ghosts of the past, the seventeenth century slowly seeps into the twenty-first, with the city of Cambridge the bridge between them.

-

What can I say about a book I gave up on after struggling through the first fourth of pages. I couldn't´t find anything that kept me reading or interested in any way. I don't really think I made it to the point where the story is supposed to become exciting or in a way "ghostly" or mystery-like.

I figured time is to precious to waste it on a book that doesn't really fulfill my needs when there are so much other books on my shelf that certainly are better.

Rating:
Visit Rebecca Stott.

Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: Spiegel & Grau (May 8, 2007)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0385521065
ISBN-13: 978-0385521062

No comments: